Schwartzapfel Lawyers, P.C. – FIGHTING FOR YOU®
Commercial vehicles travel the streets of New York City day and night for a variety of reasons, including delivering food, flowers, and other retail items; picking up our garbage; responding to emergencies; and transporting our families and friends around town. While these larger vehicles provide an invaluable service to New York City residents, they also pose a significant threat to others on the road.
Verdict In Accident Case
Verdict in Accident Case
Verdict In Accident Case
Verdict In Accident Case
DEDICATED NEW YORK CITY TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
The drivers of commercial trucks, vans, buses, and other vehicles often require little to no training, and yet they are often time-pressed to deliver goods on tight deadlines. These factors can lead to accidents with tragic consequences.
If you have been injured in an accident involving a commercial vehicle in New York City, you need to talk with an experienced commercial truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
The skilled attorneys at Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. have more than 30 years of experience successfully representing individuals involved in a variety of commercial vehicle accidents. Following is a breakdown of the most common types of commercial vehicle accidents.
Commercial Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can happen to anyone, but unfortunately, the victims of these accidents often outnumber those who get the justice they deserve. To make matters worse, the personal injury cases that result from these accidents can feel long and drawn out, so many victims doubt themselves when deciding whether to pursue justice or not.
Maybe you’re not sure if the vehicle in question even counts as a truck. Perhaps the attorney you previously tried to work with couldn’t handle the budget. Or, the firm didn’t have specialists with enough experience to get a fair settlement.
Commercial vehicles travel the streets of New York City day and night for a variety of reasons, and if you’re in an accident with one you shouldn’t just give up hope. While these larger vehicles provide an invaluable service to New York City residents, they also pose a significant threat to others on the road.
WHAT COUNTS AS A TRUCK ACCIDENT?
Large trucks are usually vehicles that have a gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds, but that’s a loose and unclear definition. Here are some of the vehicles that might include:
- Fire trucks
- Dump trucks
- Tow trucks
- Tractor trailer rigs
- Concrete/Construction trucks
- Cargo trucks
- Buses (involved in crashes)
- Coal trucks
- Delivery Vans
- Fuel trucks
- Garbage trucks
- Logging trucks
- Moving vans and trucks
- Tow trucks
- Tanker trucks
As dedicated truck accident attorneys in New York, we’ve seen how little training drivers of commercial vans, buses, and other large-format vehicles need to undergo — if they’re required to undergo anything at all besides acquiring their CDL.
When an accident does inevitably happen, many of the drivers or companies that are at fault will sow confusion or resort to intimidation. When this happens, you need to experienced team from Schwartzapfel FIGHTING FOR YOU®.
Here’s how the Schwartzapfel team will fight for you:
- Hand the Case to an Experience, Trusted Attorney – One of the biggest indicators in the success of your case is how experienced your attorney is. You’ve already seen the figures we’ve won for past clients — and we believe they speak for themselves.
- Identify Lines of Insurance – In a trucking accident, the damage to passenger vehicles can be catastrophic — while trucks themselves are usually not severely damaged in these incidents. As a commercial vehicle, there are strict regulations applied to this kind of insurance to protect companies and the public at large. If you’re unaware, you may be getting underpaid by insurance.
- Embark on a thorough fact-finding mission – In most cases, insurance policies are written in the public interest — that means you! That means your case’s strength then becomes about the fact-finding process. We leave no stone unturned as we investigate your case, and then we use the details we find to maximum effect.
- Proceed to court – To protect their pocketbooks, truck companies usually have a large legal team at the ready to reduce liability. If you’re a victim of a trucking accident, choose someone who can stand up to and hold their own against these pack of lawyers. We know what it means to you to receive justice. Allow us to use our experience fighting — and beating — insurance companies to deliver you a successful verdict.
Level the playing field and give yourself a winning chance with our team of truck accident attorneys.
Why Truck Accidents Happen
Truck accidents happen for many reasons — both obvious and more insidious. For example, brake problems, the most common of all technical errors, contribute to 29% of all accidents. That’s something that companies should check but often don’t to save time and money. Other issues include moving violations, untrained drivers, or failing to properly secure a load.
Besides this, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration finds that there are a few other issues that contribute to truck accidents as well:
- Traffic flow interruption
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with roadway
- Roadway problems
- Over-the-counter drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
- Reckless driving, including dangerous behaviors like tailgating
- Inadequate surveillance
- The pressure felt to meet a deadline by a carrier
- Illegal maneuvers
While many of these are connected issues, the top overall reason for brutal truck-related accidents is negligence. Of 120,000 fatal and injury accidents involving trucks, 90% are found to be caused by driver negligence.
If it’s directly related to the driver’s actions, decision-making, or mental state of being, this is negligence. Outcomes of such truck-related accidents include property damage or loss, as well as health issues, including:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Brain injury
- Internal injury
- Loss of mobility
- Loss of ability to work
- Serious damage to neck and back
- Neurological damage
In any of these cases – whether you or a loved one is the victim – you need to pursue justice.
POTENTIAL LIABLE PARTIES
To fight effectively on your behalf, we’ll need to determine liability. Who is responsible, and who has liability for the accident? Here are the main parties that we’ll look into, although there can be more based on your situation:
- The driver of the truck - As we determined, due to fatigue, distraction, substances, etc.
- The employer or the trucking company - Responsible for negligent maintenance, hiring issues, and even improper loading and unloading
- The manufacturer - Due to faulty parts, issues of poor maintenance, or untimely recalls
- The company who owns the cargo - Loading and unloading issues as well as inherently unstable cargo
Sometimes, the accident is complicated enough that multiple parties can be found liable. During a settlement conference, more than one liable parties — or, at least their legal representation — might be present.
At this point, we’ll present your case. If it’s compelling and convincing enough, the settlement award will help you cover medical care bills, other damages, and other losses that are not necessarily financial — but that a financial award amount will help you address.
If you’re attending a settlement meeting on your own, however, without experienced legal counsel, these will be lowball offers.
Can a Truck Accident Attorney Help You?
At Schwartzapfel, we’re always FIGHTING FOR YOU®. Our skills and expertise means that you have experienced counsel on your side. We stay committed to our clients every step of the way, taking care to keep the process transparent and communicative.
We know insurance companies — we know their tactics, their plans, and the pressure points they’ll try to hit you at. This is a matter of both personal remuneration as well as fighting for justice. Contact our team of experienced truck accident attorneys today. Let us use our 30 years of experience to make sure we put unsafe truck driving practices off the road.
NEW YORK LAW FIRM – OFFICE LOCATIONS
At Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. we fight hard to get you the outcome you deserve. To better serve you, we have five office locations in the New York area. If you have any questions, please give us a call today or select any of the location options below to learn more.
TRUST THE COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ACCIDENT EXPERTS
If you’ve been involved in a large vehicle accident, it’s important to understand what your rights are. The experienced New York City truck accident attorneys at Schwartzapfel Lawyers, P.C. can review your case and provide you access to their network of professional accident experts to help get you the best possible recovery. With more than 150 years of combined experience and a proven track record of success, our attorneys are well-prepared to handle all your legal needs.