- Catastrophic Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Site Injuries
- Motor Vehicle Wrecks
- Tractor-Trailer Collisions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- B.A., with Honors, State University of New York at Albany, 2002
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, 2005
Awards, Achievements and Recognitions
- Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer in the United States, The National Trial Lawyers
- Top 100 National Civil Plaintiff Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- Top Verdicts, New York Law Journal, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Top Settlements, New York Law Journal, 2011, 2012 , 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Super Lawyers: New York, Rising Star
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Board of Directors: New York State Academy Of Trial Lawyers, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Christopher Holbrook is a partner at Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. and his practice concentrates on trial work involving negligence cases with catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. Chris routinely returns multi-million dollar recoveries through jury verdict, arbitration, mediation, and settlement. Mr. Holbrook’s results include eight-figure and seven-figure verdicts and judgments. Recently, Chris represented 1 of 8 wrongful death victims in a multi-district federal court litigation involving the Amtrak Train Wreck in Philadelphia resulting in a historic $265,000,000 global recovery.
Mr. Holbrook has earned a reputation for excellence and superior results among his colleagues, judges and clients. He has a proven track record of success, even in the toughest circumstances.
Multi-Million Dollar Verdicts & Settlements
Mr. Holbrook’s high awards were also recognized in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 issues of New York Law Journal in its “Top Verdicts” and “Top Settlements” sections. These awards included the year’s highest motor vehicle verdict and highest construction site accident settlement in Suffolk County and Staten Island — both widely regarded as difficult plaintiffs jurisdictions. These accolades earned him membership in the exclusive “Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.”
Additionally, ALM Verdict Search published numerous noteworthy results Mr. Holbrook reached in all five boroughs of New York City as well as Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Highly-Regarded New York City Injury Attorney
The National Trial Lawyers also named Mr. Holbrook National Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Lawyer. He has been recognized as a New York “Super Lawyer” an honor reserved for the top 5% of attorneys. He serves on the board of directors for the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, a statewide organization comprising attorneys and members of the judiciary and is a Dean focusing on their Continuing Legal Education Trial Skills programs. He was recently selected to serve on the Judicial Screening Committee for New York’s Highest Court – The Court of Appeals.
Because of his exceptional experience, Mr. Holbrook is a sought-after speaker on trial advocacy and practice, including multi-city circuits on “Trial Advocacy in Voir Dire” and “Telling the Damages Story: Effectively Proving Damages at the Time of Trial.”, “Mastering Cross-Examination” and “Winning from Beginning: Jury Selection and Opening Statements”. He has taught the next generation of lawyers as adjunct professor at St. John’s University School of Law and as instructor at the Polestino Trial Advocacy Institute, where his students won the American Bar Association’s National Trial Advocacy Competition held annually in Chicago.
Previously, Mr. Holbrook was a homicide prosecutor in the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office. During his tenure, he tried a multitude of jury trials to verdict with an astounding success rate. Among those verdicts were a number of high profile murder cases, which garnered significant media attention. Mr. Holbrook has appeared on television and radio and in print, including CBS Channel 2, ABC Channel 7, News 12, 1010 WINS and Newsday.
Mr. Holbrook believes strongly in giving back to the community – both locally and globally – through charitable organizations including Catholic Charities Disaster Relief Fund, MADD, Water.org, American Cancer Society and the local level outreach and soup kitchens. Chris is also involved in coaching youth sports including baseball and basketball in his local community.
Professor and Lecturer
- Statewide Chair, for CLE lecture, “Trial Advocacy in Voir Dire,” New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Statewide chair for CLE lecture: “Telling the Damages Story — Effectively Proving Damages at Trial,” New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2015
- Statewide Chair for CLE Lecture: “Mastering Cross-Examination” New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2016
- Statewide Chair for CLE Lecture: “Winning from the Beginning: Jury Selection and Opening Statements” New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2017
- Adjunct professor, St. John’s University School of Law, trial advocacy courses in civil and criminal practice
- Instructor, St. John’s University School of Law, Polestino Trial Advocacy Institute
- Academy Dean for Statewide Trial Skills CLE Program: New York State Academy Of Trial Lawyers, 2017, 2018