- Catastrophic Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Site Injuries
- Slips, Trips and Falls
- Auto, Truck, Bus and Motorcycle Accidents
- Highway Design Defects
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Neglect
- Products Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Mass Tort Litigation
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- B.A., State University of New York at Buffalo, with honors, 1977
- J.D., Pace University School of Law, 1980
Steven J. SchwartzapfelFounding Partner
For more than 35 years, Steven Schwartzapfel, the founding member of Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C., has been one of New York’s most prominent personal injury attorneys. Steve represents clients in all types of personal injury cases. His experience, skill and dedication have enabled Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. to recover hundreds of millions of dollars for their clients.
A Passion for Justice
Schwartzapfel Lawyers treats clients like family. Steve’s passion for helping those in need stems from his childhood. His father suffers from multiple sclerosis and Steve experienced firsthand the devastating impact it has on the individual as well as the entire family. Steve understands the stress and frustration of not being able to do the simple things most people take for granted, such as getting out of bed, dressing, working and paying bills. He can relate to the losses the entire family suffers when a loved one is injured, maimed, disabled or killed as a result of someone else’s wrongdoing.
Highly Recognized Trial Lawyer and Strategic Negotiator
Insurance companies and defense lawyers know that Steve and his team of trial attorneys have the experience, skills, reputation and resources to successfully litigate and take every case to verdict, regardless of how powerful or big the defendant or insurance company may be. Steve refuses to be out lawyered or outspent.
Steve doesn’t accept every case but, when Steve takes a case, the insurance companies and defense counsel know the case has merit, they are well prepared, and it will be litigated aggressively and zealously. The insurance companies know that Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. will take a case to verdict and see it all the way through appeal. As such, most insurance companies settle and pay Steve’s clients more money than lawyers without his reputation, resources and track record of litigating and winning 99% of the time.
Sometimes resolving a case sooner and with certainty rather than gambling on what a jury might decide is the preferable path. When counseling a client on whether to proceed to verdict or accept a settlement, Steve provides open and honest advice, as if he were speaking to a family member.
Dedicated to the Community and Legal Justice
Steve is a certified member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a prestigious group of U.S. trial lawyers who have won multi-million dollar verdicts and/or settlements. He is also involved in several advocacy organizations that protect the rights of injured clients. Steve has lectured at legal seminars both in and out of the country to lawyers and judges alike. He has lectured on such topics as maximizing damages and case value, negotiation, strategies and tactics, statutes, insurance issues, law office management, client relations and ethics.
The American Bar Foundation named Steve a Life Fellow in recognition of his service to the community. Steve supports a long list of charities, including establishing scholarships at Pace University Law School and Touro Law School for children of union workers in good standing. Steve has also established a fellowship for law students to work for legal service organizations that provide legal services to those individuals and/or families that cannot afford to pay a lawyer.
In addition, Steve has established the Schwartzapfel Lawyers Humanitarian Scholarship for high school graduates who plan on focusing their studies to enter public service fields such as teachers, social workers, doctors, nurses, healthcare professionals, attorneys, etc.
Steve has seen the devastating and often deadly effects of young people texting, drinking and driving. Steve volunteers his time and serves on New York State’s MADD executive board co-chairing the legislative committee.
Awards, Recognition, and Memberships
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer for 7 consecutive years as featured in The New York Times.
- Recognized in Legal Leaders as a Top Rated Lawyer featured in The Wall Street Journal, New York Law Journal, Newsday, American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel and National Law Journal, as produced by ALM.
- Top Rated Lawyer as featured in New York Magazine based upon having received a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating
- Leader in Law as featured in Newsweek
- Top Legal Eagle as featured in Long Island Pulse Magazine
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The American Trial Lawyers Association
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Elite Lawyers of America, award for obtaining verdicts and/or settlements of at least 2 million dollars
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, certified member
- Litigators Award, rendered with reference to the firm’s million and multi-million dollar verdicts/settlements
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, director emeritus, former parliamentarian and President elect
- Alliance for Consumer Rights, President
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, founding member, former director, first vice president and President elect
- New York County Bar Association Committee on Professional Discipline
- Judicial screening committees, New York State Supreme Court
- Judicial screening committees, Appellate Division
- Judicial Screening Committee for Governor Pataki’s Selection for New York State Court of Appeals