In New York, motorists and pedestrians are frequently injured – and killed – by hit and runs. These accidents are not only traumatizing, but they can cause serious injuries and damages. With a hit and run accident, it is important to remember to never chase after the other vehicle. This could be very dangerous, and should be left to law enforcement to deal with.
If you have been in a hit and run accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Assess Your Injuries. If you or your passenger was injured, call an ambulance and get medical attention right away.
- Write Down the Details. Often, during the stress of a hit and run accident, details are forgotten. Write down your account of what happened as soon as possible after the accident. Details of the vehicle that hit you are extremely helpful.
- Get Contact Information for Any Witnesses. These witnesses could be important to your case later on.
- Take Pictures. It is extremely helpful to have pictures of the accident scene, the surrounding area, and even any injuries that have resulted. Your cell phone’s camera is great for this.
- Determine Insurance Coverage. If you have insurance, you can look to your own insurance company for help. By law, every motorist in New York must carry uninsured auto insurance coverage. This will help you in the event of a hit and run accident.
- Contact Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. Don’t battle with insurance companies, who may wrongfully deny your claim. Remember that in these types of cases there is limited time to file a claim, so it is important to act promptly. Our New York City accident lawyers can help you receive the money and benefits you are entitled to for your injuries and the damages you have suffered because of your accident. Call us today at 1-877-737-4806 or fill out our online contact form to get started.