Lawyers for Victims of Nursing Home Abuse in New York City
The lawyers at Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. provide vigorous representation for victims of nursing home negligence and abuse in New York City. Nursing home residents and their family members often feel powerless to seek the help they need. At Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C., our compassionate legal team will take action for you and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Statistics on Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The Startling Statistics in Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
Nursing home neglect and abuse have long been recognized as some of the most concerning risks facing our aging population. The statistics on the severity of the problem are almost unbelievable:
- A study reported by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services found that 44 percent of nursing home residents reported experiencing abuse.
- This same study found that 95 percent of nursing home residents had either witnessed or experienced at least one incidence of neglect.
- Over 5 million elderly Americans suffer from some form of dementia. Approximately half of these individuals experience some form of abuse.
- Elderly abuse victims frequently exhibit heightened levels of psychological distress.
- Physical, psychological, and financial abuse of the elderly costs an estimated $8.2 billion every year.
- The risk of death for nursing home abuse victims is three times greater than that of individuals who have not been abused.
In a study conducted by the U.S. General Accountability Office, 70 percent of licensed nursing homes underreported their incidences of neglect. Yet, over 50 percent of nursing home staffers admit to abusing and neglecting elderly residents.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse in New York
In New York, the situation may be even worse. A study published by Cornell University found that the overall number of instances of elder abuse was 24 times greater than the number of instances reported to the authorities. This equates to an astonishing 260,000 elderly New York residents who fall victim to abuse every year.
Most Common Forms of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
In nursing homes, abuse and neglect can take many forms and happen for many different reasons. The five most common forms of nursing home neglect and abuse are:
- Physical Abuse – Nearly a third of all abuse claims against nursing homes involve some form of physical abuse. This includes hitting, punching, pushing, and even provoking attacks by other residents. Use of inappropriate restraints is also a form of physical abuse.
- Psychological Abuse – Common forms of psychological abuse in nursing homes include scolding, criticizing, intimidating, scaring, and embarrassing residents. Nursing home residents can also suffer psychological damage due to isolation and abandonment.
- Neglect – Nursing home residents who experience neglect may suffer from inadequate access to food and restrooms, improper administration of medications, clogged breathing tubes, bedsores, fall-related injuries, and other dangerous situations and conditions.
- Sexual Abuse – Both male and female nursing home residents can fall victim to sexual abuse. Some staffers will prey on residents and take advantage of them in their vulnerable states.
- Financial Exploitation – From outright theft to coercion to sign checks or estate planning documents, various forms of financial exploitation are common in nursing homes as well.
With roughly 30 percent of elderly Americans requiring long-term care, by 2050, the number of people living in nursing homes is expected to double. With problems such as understaffing already playing a significant role in nursing home residents receiving inadequate care, the risks of serious illnesses and injuries may continue to increase as nursing home populations expand. This means that you are not alone if you suspect negligence or abuse. To protect yourself, your family, and your future, you should take action to hold your nursing home accountable for its misdeeds.
Warning Signs that You or Your Loved One May Be a Victim
If you suspect that you or your loved one may be a victim of abuse or neglect in a nursing home, it is critical that you take action as soon as possible. The following are all common warning signs that it may be time to seek legal representation:
- Symptoms of anxiety or depression
- Medications that are either not being used or being used too quickly
- Nursing home staff attempting to limit communication with family and friends
- Unexplained physical injuries or injuries from avoidable causes
- Weight loss and other signs of malnutrition or dehydration
At Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C., we have decades of experience representing victims of nursing home negligence and abuse. We are passionate about fighting for our clients, and we can help make sure that you receive both the quality care and financial compensation you deserve.
Get Help for Nursing Home Neglect in New York City
To get the help you need, our lawyers are just a phone call or email away. Let us use our knowledge, experience, and reputation to fight for you! Get started with a free consultation, call 1-888-575-6410 or contact us online today.