Workplace accidents happen. Even with the right protective equipment and procedures, they’re inevitable. Nevertheless, most companies carry workers’ compensation insurance to ensure their employees have the means to recoup lost money and to pay for their medical bills if they are injured from a job-related accident.
But what if your employer refuses to pay what you deserve? Or, what if the workers’ compensation insurance company refuses to pay funds to cover your medical expenses? In that case, it may be wise to contact a workplace accident lawyer in Garden City. Call Schwartzapfel Lawyers for a free case evaluation at 1-800-966-4999.
Let’s break down what you can expect from a workplace accident lawyer, how they can help, and how to choose the right law firm to fit your legal and personal needs.
What Is a Workplace Accident?
A workplace accident occurs when a worker is injured during their normal work duties or while performing workplace tasks. Workplace accidents can vary heavily in terms of their form and potential injuries. Common workplace accidents include but are not limited to:
- Slipping and falling on a hazardous surface, like a wet floor
- Falling off scaffolding or other high surfaces, which may happen in the construction industry
- Being injured while using a tool in the construction or other industries
- And many other situations that turn from seemingly ordinary to potentially deadly in the blink of an eye!
Regardless, workplace accidents are usually anticipated by employing organizations. That’s why they have workers’ compensation insurance by law. This insurance is meant to cover the medical bills and other costs charged to Garden City workers.
Workplace accidents may lead to a wide range of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Strains, sprains, and ligament tears
- Lacerations and/or severe bruises
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal injuries and/or paralysis
- Heat and/or chemical burns
- And more
While the severity of workplace accidents can vary, their bills often don’t. Many American workers have to pay very expensive bills whenever they visit a hospital or call an ambulance.
Are You Covered by Workers’ Comp?
Yes! By law, Garden City and New York City organizations must have workers’ compensation insurance. Therefore, you should be covered by this insurance if you are injured while working – and are not breaking the law or performing your duties.
For example, if you properly use safety gear but are still injured while performing a construction task, the workers’ compensation insurance company should give you a payout for any medical bills you might incur. However, many insurance companies are greedy and will refuse to pay out their insurance costs to injured workers. They may try to claim that a worker was not doing their job, was working against company guidelines, or something else.
Workplace Accident Frequency in Garden City
Garden City by itself has over 22,000 people, many of whom work in the construction industry and related potentially dangerous industries. Workplace accidents are frequent in Garden City and beyond, including in broader New York City and Long Island.
For example, the Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates there were approximately 129,000 nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses in all of New York City in 2020. This rate was likely similar for 2021 and potentially exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Regardless, workers need to know what to expect if they are ever injured on the job. They also need to know their legal options if they are refused workers’ compensation payouts or if their injuries are directly due to another party’s negligence.
What To Do After a Workplace Accident
If you’re injured from a workplace accident, the first thing to do is contact emergency services and get your injuries looked at by a professional. Medical help can minimize the long-term damage from a workplace accident injury. Alternatively, medical help may prevent you from experiencing intense pain or discomfort.
Once you are stabilized and have been treated by medical professionals, you should then contact knowledgeable workplace accident lawyers. Note: To protect yourself and your financial future you should do this before contacting your insurance company or your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company.
Why? Because insurance companies, despite what they may say, are not your friends. The people on the other end of the phone line are in the business of preventing you from costing their clients money. Therefore, you should have legal professionals on your side when you negotiate with these organizations.
How Workplace Accident Lawyers Help
Workplace accident lawyers can provide many benefits for workers in all industries. Specifically, they can help you if you want to file either a workers’ compensation claim or a lawsuit.
Workers’ Compensation Claim Assistance
Workers’ compensation doesn’t just fall into your lap. You have to file a claim for an insurance payout if you hope to see any money. Unfortunately, many workers don’t know where to start or how to file their paperwork correctly.
Filing paperwork correctly and on time is vital, as insurance companies will do everything they can to get your insurance claim thrown out. A qualified workplace accident attorney can:
- Make sure your paperwork is filed on time and at the right place
- Ensure your filing is accurate and airtight
- Fight on your behalf if the insurance company gives you trouble or tries to push back against your claim
More than that, the right workplace accident attorney can ensure that you get a good payout by proving that your accident and injuries occurred on workplace premises or while performing normal duties. If necessary, they’ll gather evidence and won’t hesitate to bring your claim to court or to arbitration if the insurance company doesn’t back down.
To speak with an experienced workplace accident lawyer today, call Schwartzapfel Lawyers at 1-800-966-4999 for your free consultation.
File a Lawsuit
Alternatively, a workplace accident lawyer can help you file a personal injury or construction accident lawsuit. A lawsuit may be appropriate if you are injured because of the negligence of another person.
Say that you are told by a general contractor, or even your boss, to climb scaffolding without a ladder. This is clearly dangerous and goes against workplace policies. If you do it because your general contractor threatens to fire you, you could have grounds for a lawsuit.
Or maybe you aren’t provided with appropriate safety gear to accomplish your tasks safely. In these cases, your supervisors are also being negligent on purpose in order to save money or to be lazy. Negligence is often provable in court, especially with a legal firm on your side.
Workplace accident lawyers can:
- Gather evidence on your behalf to prove negligence on the part of your boss, another worker, or even your entire employing organization
- Present that evidence compellingly in court
- Help you get a damage payout that helps you cover past and future medical bills, lost wages from time away from work, and more
How To Choose the Right Legal Team
All of these benefits are so important that you need to choose the perfect law firm for your needs. Fortunately, Schwartzapfel Lawyers is already equipped and ready to assist with your workplace accident lawsuit or workers’ compensation claim. Why?
- Schwartzapfel Lawyers has a long history of successful workplace accident and construction accident case verdicts. Just check out our testimonials page for examples. We’ve helped workers like you recover millions of dollars from negligent parties or workplaces when they were denied workers’ compensation insurance.
- Schwartzapfel Lawyers is dedicated to fighting for you from the beginning of your case to the end. We won’t give up even if things get tough, and we don’t back down from a fight. Furthermore, we know all the tricks that workers’ compensation insurance companies like to use to try to refute worker insurance claims.
- Schwartzapfel Lawyers doesn’t charge our clients a dime unless we win a case. That’s right – there’s no need to worry about paying for your medical bills and legal assistance at the same time. If your workers’ compensation claim or lawsuit goes south, you won’t owe us anything. That’s because we are very confident in our ability to ensure you get the funds you need to pay for any and all expenses.
We can get you started with a free case evaluation right now, so don’t delay – call us at 1-800-966-4999 and allow us the honor and privilege of fighting for you!
Whether you need your lawsuit outcome to be successful or your workers’ compensation claim to go through, Schwartzapfel Lawyers can help. As experienced New York City and Garden City workplace accident attorneys, we’ve seen all the variations and know what to expect and how to win. That extensive experience is exactly why we are the best choice to help with your upcoming workplace accident lawsuit or workers’ comp claim.
Why wait? You can get started with a free case evaluation by calling us at 1-800-966-4999 or contacting us online. In either case, we’re ready to hear about your needs and will ensure you get the money you need to recover from your workplace accident ASAP.