Workers’ Compensation Notice

Steven Schwartzapfel Feb 10, 2016

In order to have a claim for Workers’ Compensation one must formally inform their employer of the work-related accident within thirty (30) days. This is not applicable to a claim for an occupational disease, which is claim for an injury that occurs over time as opposed to a one-time traumatic injury. An occupational disease claim requires that the claim be filed within two (2) years of when the claimant should have known that the injury was work-related. However, with a traumatic accident, notice must be given within thirty (30) days.

Steps for Giving Proper Notice

Notice can be given in writing or orally to a supervisor or anyone in a supervisory role. By filing a C-3 form with the Workers’ Compensation Board, notice is deemed given. However, this C-3 must be filed within 30 days or else the carrier will have grounds to contest the case. In order to protect yourself, please take the following steps:

  • Give notice in writing to your employer and keep a copy for yourself;
  • If possible, file an accident report with your employer;
  • File a C-3 form within 30 days and make sure it is sent to the Workers’ Compensation Board; and
  • Consult an attorney if you feel your employer is not properly handling your claim.

Contact Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C.

If you have questions about any aspect of your workers’ compensation claim, including ensuring that you have correctly filed all of the appropriate paperwork, contact Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. for counsel. For immediate attention to your case, call 1-877-737-4806 or fill out our convenient online contact form.

WordPress Image Lightbox