While elevator accidents do not occur frequently, they do happen, and when they do, they usually cause serious injuries. In New York, owners and occupiers of property have a responsibility to keep their premises in a safe condition, which includes keeping an elevator in good working order.
Common Causes of Elevator Accidents
An elevator accident commonly occurs because:
- There is a mechanical problem involving the pulley system,
- There is a problem with the leveling function of the elevator,
- The elevator shaft is uncovered, or
- There is faulty wiring involved.
What to Do if You Are in an Elevator Accident
If you have been in an elevator accident, you should take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you are not sure if you are hurt badly, it is important to be checked out by a doctor. This documentation could become important later if you decide to litigate your case.
- File an Incident Report with Building Management: Be sure to obtain the contact information for the person who takes down your report.
- Take Notes of the Accident: Gather all important information regarding your accident, including the exact location, as well as contact information for any witnesses and property owners.
- Use Your Cell Phone to Take Pictures: Take pictures of the accident scene, the surrounding area, and your injuries. These photographs will become important down the road should you decide to pursue a claim.
Contact Schwartzapfel® Lawyers P.C., New York City Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in an elevator accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, including reimbursement for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. For counsel and representation, contact the attorneys at Schwartzapfel® Lawyers P.C. today by calling 1-877-737-4806 or by filling out our online contact form. We will Fight For You!