Being involved in a dog bite or dog attack can be a traumatic event resulting in serious injuries or even death. Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States needs medical attention for a dog bite-related injury. Often, a dog attack will result in permanent scarring, nerve and muscle damage, and the need for follow-up surgery. The psychological effects of an attack are also a great concern, as many of those who are bitten are small children.
A person attacked by a dog has the right to full compensation for his or her injuries, medical costs, loss of physical ability, loss of earning capacity and more.
Dog Bite Statistics
Dog bites are a lot more common than one would expect. Attacks take place in the United States at an alarming frequency, injuring and killing unsuspecting victims:
- Every 40 seconds, someone in the U.S. seeks medical attention for a dog bite-related injury
- It is estimated that for every dog bite that is reported, three go unreported
- More than 4.7 million people, or 2% of the U.S. population, are bitten by dogs every year
- Severe injuries occur almost exclusively to children under 10 years of age
- Dog bites are the cause of some 44,000 facial injuries each year
- Dog bites cause an average of 18 deaths a year.
Steps to Take if Bitten
If you are bitten by a dog, there are some important steps to take to ensure that you do not face mounting medical costs for an owner’s negligent handling of their dog. These include:
- Seek medical attention immediately. If you neglect to seek medical treatment and then later claim that your injuries were serious, it could hurt your case.
- Write down the contact information of the owner and any witnesses – include their names, addresses, and contact information.
- Take pictures of the scene of the bite/attack, and especially of your wounds.
Contact Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a dog attack, please call us at 1-877-737-4806 or fill out the online contact form for immediate attention to your case. With over 150 years of experience, our attorneys know what it takes to get you the money and benefits you deserve after an injury. We will fight for you!