With winter comes a fair share of dangerous winter driving conditions. Rain, snow, and ice are common causes of car accidents. Attorneys know that every year hundreds of people are injured, or even killed, due to winter road conditions. According to the Federal Highway Administration, sleet and snow causes an average of 225,000 accidents per year. Of these, 70,900 will result in serious personal injury, and 870 of these accidents will be fatal. In order to keep you and your family safe, it is important to be aware of these tips.
- Check your brakes, defroster, windshield wipers, heat and exhaust systems.
- Check your antifreeze.
- Add concentrated windshield wiper fluid to antifreeze to prevent icy windshields.
- Check your tires to make sure they are in good condition and properly inflated.
- Carry chains and make sure they are in good repair and the proper size for your car.
- Carry an ice scraper or commercial de-icer.
- Carry food, water, and warm clothing in the event you are stuck or delayed.
- Allow extra time to arrive at your destination as trips often times take longer if you encounter ice and snow.
- Travel with a full tank of gas. It could be necessary to change routes in a storm, or you could be caught in an unexpected traffic delay.
- Keep windows clear of ice and snow to ensure maximum visibility.
- Slow down. Traveling at the posted speed limit could be too fast on icy roads.
- Remember to avoid sudden stops and quick moves in your vehicle. Stopping distances are longer, so be sure to keep extra space between you and the vehicle next to or in front of you.
- If you are stalled, stay in your vehicle and stay warm while conserving fuel to avoid a car accident.
Contact Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C.
If you have been involved in an auto accident, you may need legal representation and counsel. Our attorneys are experienced in dealing with a wide variety of vehicle accident cases, and we would gladly review your case to see if you have a legitimate claim. Contact us online or call us at 1-877-737-4806. We will fight for you!