Bus crashes can be extremely serious. After all, the sheer weight of a large passenger vehicle can nearly destroy anything in its way. This can include pedestrians, motor vehicles, and cyclists. When navigating NYC streets, you need to be aware of larger passenger vehicles. In New York, the mass transit buses are maintained by the city and operate nearly around the clock. As a highly profitable portion of the city government sector, they also employ a skilled legal team. Therefore, after an injury with a city bus, you may feel as though the odds are stacked against you when it comes to receiving compensation.
Causes of Bus Crashes
In New York, you cannot go far without seeing a city bus. With the sheer volume of buses on the street, it is no wonder that crashes with these large passenger vehicles is common. Some reasons for these accidents include:
- Driver inattention – a bus driver who is distracted
- Fatigued driving – bus drivers who must drive around the clock, as well as work very late and early morning hours, and who may fall asleep at the wheel or simply drive while drowsy
- Improperly maintained buses – this can include improperly maintained brakes or other components that lead to a crash
- Ignoring traffic signals
- Improper driver training
What to Do if You Are a Bus Accident Victim
Even before you have time to recover from your injuries, you should speak with a New York City personal injury attorney to determine your options for compensation. Unfortunately, taking on the bus companies can be a daunting task, and the company will seek multiple ways to protect itself from lawsuits. They are known for aggressively fighting any claim brought against them; that’s why they will do everything that they can to get the victim to accept less than he or she actually deserves in a settlement.
If you are the victim of a bus accident (whether as a passenger of the bus or a passenger in another vehicle), you do not have to allow companies to bully you out of compensation. Instead, you must speak with a personal injury attorney. An attorney can:
- Help negotiate with the company, as well as its insurers, to find a reasonable settlement. Without an attorney, you may not know the current and future costs that you are entitled to collect upon – such as medical expenses, lost wages, or pain and suffering.
- Help establish negligence. If the driver was operating the bus negligently, your attorney can help prove such negligence and strengthen your claim against the bus driver, as well as his or her employer.
- Help identify the root cause of the accident. If the cause of the accident is unknown, your attorney can help uncover the reason for the crash – such as a distracted driver talking on a cellphone, improper maintenance, speeding, etc.
Speak with an NYC Personal Injury Advocate Today
After you are seriously injured in a bus crash, you need to focus on your injuries without worrying about your financial losses. That is where the team at Schwartzapfel® Lawyers, P.C. comes into play. We can negotiate with bus and insurance companies to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. To get started, schedule a free consultation at 1-877-737-4806 or fill out our online contact form with your legal questions.