Advocating for New York City Elders
You expected your loved one to receive quality care from professional, attentive nursing home staff. When he or she sustains a serious injury in the care of medical professionals you want and deserve answers. Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. can help you find those answers.
Our law firm exclusively practices personal injury and wrongful death and regularly helps families like yours in protecting nursing home residents from abusive and neglectful conditions. First, our lawyers make sure your loved one is safe and is receiving quality medical treatment. We then investigate the cause of your loved one’s injuries and pursue the nursing home, staff and medical professionals who are responsible.
Nursing Home Negligence Results in Injuries
Nursing home injuries should be rare. Sadly, instead, nursing home injuries are surprisingly common. Most nursing home injuries result from abuse and neglect, including:
- Ineffective fall management provisions
- Unsanitary conditions, including rodents, vermin, bacteria and mold
- Poor security measures, such as unlocked doors, broken cameras and insufficient personnel on duty
- Bedsores that occur when residents are left in a sedentary position
- Inadequate medical care to treat injuries, infections and chronic conditions in a timely manner
- Lack of aids, such as grab bars, raised toilet seats, lowered beds and handrails along walls and in showers
- Trip and fall hazards, such as raised carpet, electrical wires and steps
- Slippery surfaces that create slip and fall hazards
- Overmedication of patients that make them more susceptible to falls
- Inadequate nursing home fall-prevention policies
- Unqualified, inattentive and insufficient training of nursing home staff
- Understaffed facility giving rise to tired, overworked aides who are more prone to mistakes
Because of these unacceptable conditions, residents suffer such serious injuries as brain damage, spinal cord damage, broken bones, bedsores, wounds, infections and psychological injuries. Our firm has more than three decades of experience and the sheer determination to achieve justice for seniors who were abused or neglected in their nursing homes.
Nursing Home Falls
Up to three-quarters of the more than 1.4 million nursing home residents fall every year. About 1,800 nursing home residents die each year from this totally preventable accident. Tens of thousands more residents suffer debilitating fall-related injuries, such as head trauma, spinal cord damage and fractures. During our investigation of these falls, we typically discover these poor nursing home conditions:
Your loved one should be safe, healthy and secure in his or her nursing home environment. If your loved one has sustained an injury or if you suspect has endured neglect or abuse, do not hesitate to call our New York City elder abuse lawyers for immediate help.
Protect Your Family Member from Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
Call Schwartzapfel Lawyers P.C. at 1-888-575-6410 to schedule a case evaluation at our Manhattan, Bronx, Deer Park, Jericho or White Plains office if you suspect your loved one has sustained an injury in a nursing home. Your first consultation is free and we handle your claim on contingency, so there is no risk in calling, only the opportunity to help. Let us help you get the money you or your loved one deserves.