In NYC, scaffolding is the skeleton most buildings are built within. It goes up, construction occurs, scaffolding comes down, projects end. Unfortunately, the injuries that occur as a result of work-related accidents rarely disappear so seamlessly, and for many injured construction workers and their loved ones, some wounds never heal — physically, emotionally, financially, and otherwise.
Sadder still is the reality that, for others, life ends prematurely. And with one-quarter of all construction-related deaths in NYC occurring as a result of scaffolding falls, it is absolutely vital that you know your rights and what to do in the event that you or a loved one is involved in a scaffolding accident.
Don’t gamble with your family’s future. Allow Schwartzapfel® Lawyers the privilege of helping you understand what to do and what not to do in these difficult times.
For more on accidents involving falls from ladders, as well as information on NYC construction workers’ rights and practical steps you can take in order to protect yourself and your family, please continue reading.
TYPES OF LOSSES AND INJURIES YOU MIGHT SUSTAIN AS THE RESULT OF A SCAFFOLDING-RELATED ACCIDENT
With any scaffolding accident, the physical pain and suffering an injured person experiences can be severe. Possible injuries include but are not limited to:
E.g. fractures of the legs, arms, shoulders, hips, ankles
E.g. brain injury, skull fractures, brain hemorrhaging
Full or partial paralysis
E.g. quadriplegia, paraplegia
Additionally, injuries that are not readily apparent at the time of the accident can include: tears, strains and sprains, herniated and bulging discs, and nerve damage that over time may worsen to the point of requiring surgery.
Unfortunately, many injured persons’ losses do not stop there, as economic losses can include:
- Loss of wages
- Loss of pension and annuity
- Loss of health and social security benefits
As well, injured workers may experience accident-related emotional suffering in the form(s) of: Depression, Anxiety, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
If you or someone you love has been injured in a scaffolding accident, the last thing you need is bills piling up. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Protect your financial future right away by calling Schwartzapfel® Lawyers today.
WORKERS’ RIGHTS IN THE EVENT OF A SCAFFOLDING ACCIDENT ON A NYC CONSTRUCTION SITE
- Did you know that construction workers have special rights and protections offered to them by the law? That’s right, they do — especially in NYC!
- Pursuant to New York’s labor laws, building owners and contractors are responsible for providing “safe working conditions and safe places to work,” (New York State Department of Labor: § 23-1.3).
- Moreover, construction workers in New York and NYC must be provided with sufficient safety devices to perform their jobs, including, but not limited to, work materials and a controlled working environment.
- Failure to comply on any level, and the responsible party is liable for the construction worker’s sustained losses and harms.
What does this mean? In essence, if you are injured in a scaffolding-related accident in New York — be it by slipping, tripping, falling, or having someone or something fall on or near you — if the accident is in any way due to the building owners’, contractors’, or your employers’ failure to provide a safe work environment with appropriate tools/devices to perform the task at hand, they are at fault and you may be legally entitled to compensation.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE INJURED IN A SCAFFOLDING ACCIDENT ON A NYC CONSTRUCTION SITE
If you or a loved one are injured, maimed, disabled, or killed in a scaffolding-related accident, it is critical that you secure legal representation right away.
- Do not give statements to anyone without first speaking to your lawyer.
- Do not speak to insurance agents before speaking to your lawyer, as anything you say will be misconstrued and used against you.
- Furthermore, it is imperative that you not accept any form of settlement, monetary or otherwise.
Remember: Insurance companies exist to make profits for their shareholders. What is best for them is a quick and easy way out. You can prevent this by politely telling them that you have retained a personal injury attorney and cannot speak to them.
FINDING THE ATTORNEY THAT’S RIGHT FOR YOU
However unique your case, you will want someone who specializes in construction-related injuries, has a proven track record in New York City, and who will fight for you every step of the way. In short: You want the best personal injury representation available.
For more than thirty-five years, Schwartzapfel® Lawyers has successfully helped thousands of clients get the money and benefits they are entitled to. We are proud of our hundreds of 5-star Google Reviews and 99% client satisfaction record, and we have every incentive to get you the largest settlement or verdict possible, as quickly as possible, because if we don’t win your case you owe us nothing.
So if you or a loved one has been injured in a scaffolding-related accident in NYC, take action today and call us now at 1-800-966-4999.
Life-changing accidents. Life-saving results.